Thursday, April 25, 2019

Classic Roberta Flack...

When I was very young, my dad used to play Roberta Flack's 1973 album, Killing Me Softly.  I've always loved the title track, of course, but there was another song I remembered from those days.  A couple of weeks ago, that song inexplicably popped into my head and I ended up downloading Killing Me Softly.

I was just a baby when this album was released, but I swear 46 years later, it still sounds very fresh.  Roberta Flack's voice is so serene, gentle, and smooth... it reminds me of brown silk.


This is the song that inspired me to buy this album... It does make me smile!


And of course, this is probably my favorite of her songs.  It doesn't age.

I really miss the 70s sometimes.  There was a lot of crappy music back then, but there was just as much if not more amazing stuff.  I don't think we still get a lot of genuine talent anymore.  A lot of a person's success in music depends on luck, imagine, and how they look on video.  Roberta Flack has always seemed amazingly normal, and yet extraordinary.

I need to get more of her stuff.  She's very underrated.


Ah... the great love theme.  Of course, having been a child of the 80s, when I hear this, I am reminded of Oil of Olay commercials.  It wasn't until I was much older that I realized what a truly gorgeous song this is.



And, of course, I can't forget her turn with Michael Jackson on Free to Be You and Me.

This post marks my 500th post on this blog...  I don't know if I should keep it going for another 500.  I only post when I'm inspired by something from the past.  The lucky thing is that with every passing day, there's more past to be inspired by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.