Wednesday, October 5, 2022

RIP Loretta Lynn!

I heard yesterday that country music's grand dame, Loretta Lynn, finally passed the bar at 90 years of age! What an amazing woman she was, coming from the poorest of circumstances, one of eight children, growing up in rural Kentucky during the Depression era.  Like a lot of people my age, I grew up on Loretta's no nonsense, practical, and truth telling songs.  I also remember her on ads for products like Crisco, and seeing Sissy Spacek play her in the movie, Coal Miner's Daughter.


I've always loved this song.  It's so true!


As a child of the 80s, I remember Loretta in these ads!


Probably Loretta's best known song.

Given that Loretta Lynn was 90 years old, I don't find her passing particularly sad.  She lived a good, long, productive life.  But I do find it poignant that she's passed, as I consider her a national treasure.  She wrote some really excellent songs that helped a lot of people-- especially women in difficult circumstances-- cope with life.  And her songs were so folksy, pragmatic, and honest, delivered with a sass that only Loretta Lynn could offer.  She was definitely a unique talent.


For some reason, my husband dislikes this song.  I think it's cute.


My Granny probably related to this one.

Loretta Lynn married very young, and had six children of her own, two of whom predeceased her.  Two of her children were older than their aunt, Crystal Gayle!  Loretta was pregnant with her third child when her youngest sister, Crystal Gayle (born Brenda Gail Webb), was born!  Loretta's siblings were mostly talented musicians and songwriters, although they weren't as famous as Loretta was.  Even Crystal Gayle, who did have a few hits, wasn't as big as Loretta was.  She was the voice of a generation.

I'm sure there are many musicians today who were hugely influenced by Loretta Lynn.  She was an inspiration to so many people.  I wish her family and friends peace and comfort as they mourn her passing.  She was a wonderful lady, as far as I can tell.  And I definitely know she was talented!   














No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.