Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Soul Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones

Back in 1991, I decided to become a disc jockey for my college radio station.  One of the other people who was being trained at the same time I was, played a song by the Dream Warriors, a Canadian duo who spearheaded the "jazz hip hop" genre of the early 90s.  This was the song she played...


I was immediately hooked.

Years later, Canadian Mike Myers released his Austin Powers films.  Those movies also used a familiar hook that was in the song, "My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style" by the Dream Warriors...


I had no idea...

Last night, I finally learned the origin of that catchy hook, that was once used as the theme to a Canadian game show called Definition.  Mike Myers had grown up watching Definition, so he decided to use the theme in his Austin Powers movies.   I guess the game show was also why the Canadian Dream Warriors titled their hip hop song, "My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style".  


I never knew...

This catchy, familiar, hooky music was composed by none other than American musical genius, Quincy Jones.  Yes, that's right.  The man that helped Michael Jackson make the biggest selling album of all time. The man behind the smooth jazz staple, "Breezin'", also composed "Soul Bossa Nova", which has been used in movies, television, and music for decades now...  This piece was released in 1962, but it still sounds fresh, in a cool retro kind of way, in 2022.

I can't believe it took me over thirty years to find all of this out.  Now I'm gonna have to go download the album.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.