Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Captain and Tennille...

What's this?  A second Dungeon of the Past post from yours truly?  Yup.

For some reason, the TV isn't working today.  I've spent the day listening to music and the song "Muskrat Love" just came on.  I think that song was also done by the band America, though don't quote me on it...  Anyway, that song just came on and I was struck by how nice Toni Tennille's voice is.  Daryl "The Captain" Dragon played straight man to her and they were quite a winning pair, with a 70s era variety show and everything.

The song itself is ridiculous.  The lyrics are about two muskrats getting it on, for Chrissakes.  But if I close my eyes and don't pay any attention to the words, it's got a pleasant melody.  And Toni Tennille did a nice job with it vocally.


This video is... uh... too weird for words...

The Captain and Tennille also did "Love Will Keep Us Together", which is a corny song that endures after forty years.  I mean, yeah, it's kind of a silly song, but it's fun to sing and catchy.


I like to watch this video, because it's pretty clear that Toni is doing a good job performing for the show.  She mimes playing piano convincingly and lip syncs very well.  And I like the song, too.  It reminds me of visiting my hip aunt and uncle back in the 70s.

And they did the lovely ballad, "Do That To Me One More Time"...


Actually, I didn't appreciate this song when I was younger.  As I got older, I liked it more.  I think it was the recorder that turned me off of it.  Too many memories of fourth grade music class, I guess.

Now I feel like doing karaoke.  Coincidence?  I miss the 70s and 80s.

Ah hell.... here's my version of "Muskrat Love"...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.