Friday, November 22, 2013

Butterfly kisses

Some years ago, a singer-songwriter named Bob Carlisle recorded a song he co-wrote with Randy Thomas called "Butterfly Kisses".  The song has become a staple at weddings, played during the customary father-daughter dance.  I didn't use it at my own wedding in 2002.  At that time, I had never heard of the song, though it was released in April 1997 on Carlisle's third album, Butterfly Kisses (Shades of Grace).  The first time I heard the song was, ironically, on a karaoke disc I purchased back in 2004 that had a lot of Christian songs on it.

Anyway, even if I had heard of the song, I wouldn't have used it at my wedding.  My dad and I have never had the kind of idyllic relationship described in the song's lyrics.  I was his fourth daughter and we often fought with each other as I was growing up.  I don't remember a lot of "butterfly kisses" at my house after a certain age, though my dad did walk me down the aisle and dance with me at the reception.


Here's one moment that could be described in "Butterfly Kisses"…

Bill, on the other hand, had some "butterfly kisses" with his ex daughters and had things not gone so awry, probably could relate to the song like other dads do.  



This morning, a friend of mine posted the above video about a bride whose father died.  Her brother recorded the song and then various men in her life danced with her.  I watched the video and by the end, I had tears in my eyes.  It's truly very moving.

The song is a bit unrealistic for a lot of fathers and daughters, though I do know some guys who probably relate to every word.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.