Thursday, December 5, 2013

Just a Gigolo...

When I was coming along, David Lee Roth was all the rage.  He was the lead singer of Van Halen for years, but then had a falling out with other band members and got replaced by Sammy Hagar, who was also kind of popular in my day.  For awhile, Dave had a solo career, and one song he did in the mid 80s was the classic hit, "Just a Gigolo".


I have always gotten a kick out of this video, since it really is a relic of my adolescence.  In the 80s, everybody was watching MTV, which back in those days, still actually played music.  Besides, this video was pretty funny.  I especially enjoyed watching Dave being manhandled by Willie Nelson… or is that just someone who resembles the red headed stranger?  I don't know, but it's funny.


David Lee Roth also covered "California Girls".  To my great shame, I'm probably more familiar with his version than The Beach Boys' vastly superior original.


I did kind of like "Yankee Rose", though…

I hear David Lee Roth is back with Van Halen, which is a good thing.  I think he was their best front man, especially when he wore his chaps on stage with no pants on underneath.  I liked some of the songs Sammy Hagar did, too.  But I don't think Hagar has quite the charisma and fun energy David Lee Roth has.  And really, both the band and Roth belong together.  Neither was quite as good without the other.


Damn, Eddie Van Halen was cute back then…  

1 comment:

  1. I can't even hear Roth's full name without thinking of the Hannukah song.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.