Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Smithereens and Dreams So Real...

When I was a teenager, there was a band called The Smithereens that came out with some popular, borderline alternative rock songs that resonated with people of my age.  Probably their biggest hit was "A Girl Like You"…


This song, with its edgy guitar and exciting lyrics, was a big success and got played so much that I eventually got really sick of it.


Their follow up was "Blue Period", which featured Belinda Carlisle, who was the lead singer of The Go Go's and had a solo career as well.  I read her life story a few years ago and wasn't very impressed with it or her…  but she does okay in this song.  Yeah, I gave the book four stars because it was readable, but she comes off as a bit self-absorbed.  But I guess that's to be expected, under the circumstances.


The Smithereens also had a hit in "Blood and Roses"…

This band actually reminds me of another, somewhat lesser known band called Dreams So Real.  I actually own a copy of their CD, Rough Night In Jericho.




Maybe the late 80s weren't so bad for music.  REM was big then…  and things were getting edgier.  When I listen to these songs, though, I am reminded of high school and shows like Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place.  Man, I'm getting old.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.