Friday, February 28, 2014

Welcome back to the skating rink...

This is my most lucrative Epinions music review, ever…  It made over $388.  I think I paid $15 for it.  I wrote it on April 12, 2008.



I recently acquired 80's Soul: Gold, a two disc compilation made by Hip-O records. When I spotted this collection on BMG Music's Web site, I knew I had to have it. You see, these songs are practically a soundtrack from my childhood. I grew up mostly in the 1980s and have lots of memories attached to this music. As I was listening to them, it occurred to me that a lot of the memories I have of this music stem from my childhood hobby of roller skating.

Anyway, 80's Soul: Gold consists of thirty old school songs from that decadent decade. The songs are set up like a retrospective should be, starting from 1980 and running until 1989. It's interesting to note how so-called soul changed its style over the course of ten years.

Come on... you know you used to hang out at the rink too. So what are you waiting for? Lace up your skates and join me for a few spins around the rink with this double set chock full of songs you can dance to... and make out to! Let's get this party started, shall we? Uhh... okay, that was a little joke. Still, I can't help but think of Friday nights at the rink when I listen to 80's Soul: Gold.

Disc One

I'm Coming Out- Diana Ross- The collection kicks off with the mother of all roller skating songs, Diana Ross' heady, giddy, exciting "I'm Coming Out". She teamed up with Nile Rogers and the late Bernard Edwards of Chic to create a song that practically invites a party. I've always liked this song for its energy and sense of fun.

She's A Bad Mama Jama (She's Built, She's Stacked)- Carl Carlton- What can I say about Carl Carlton's ode to "stacked women"? Again, I like this song for its energy-- it's sort of an 80s version of "Brick House" by the Commodores-- although I don't think Carl Carlton quite matched the Commodores' funk quotient.

Super Freak- Rick James- "Super Freak" is another roller skating anthem... I know, I should appreciate this song for its funky brilliance, but all I ever do whenever I listen to it is recall endless trips around the rink. Still, it's great fun.

Being With You- Smokey Robinson- Leave it to Smokey Robinson to mellow things out with his super smooth hit, "Being With You". According to the liner notes, Smokey originally wrote this song for Kim Carnes, but she said it was too good to give away. I can't imagine anyone else but Smokey singing this cool, sexy song. I'm glad he kept it for himself.

With You I'm Born Again- Billy Preston & Syreeta- I know this song is a bit of a sappy love song, but I've always enjoyed "Born Again". Billy Preston sounds a little like Johnny Mathis and Syreeta, who was Stevie Wonder's first wife, offers a nice vocal match for him. This song is a bit flowery and overly sentimental, but I still think it's a special kind of beautiful as only a schmaltzy 1980s era love song can be.

When She Was My Girl- The Four Tops- I love this old song by The Four Tops. This song brings The Four Tops squarely into the 1980s with its use of electronic keyboards and electric guitars. But the harmonies are awesome and I've always loved this song's wistful, longing mood.

Let It Whip- Dazz Band- "Let It Whip" is another one of those roller skating rink perennials. With its space aged sound (circa 1982, anyway), this song is definitely one you can dance to.

Early In The Morning- The Gap Band- I've always liked The Gap Band's version of "Early In The Morning", a song that was also covered by the late Robert Palmer. I much prefer The Gap Band's version. From the very first crowing of the rooster at this song's beginning, I can tell it's one of those songs that just might get me out of bed early in the morning.

Cutie Pie- One Way- "Cutie Pie" is one of those songs I don't really remember from the 80s. I guess I blocked it out. Still, I appreciate this song's very funky vibe.

All This Love- DeBarge- I've always liked DeBarge, a family act from Michigan that bears a pretty strong resemblance to the Jacksons. "All This Love" has sort of a dreamy romanticism about it. El Debarge does sound a bit like Michael Jackson, but this song doesn't really sound that much like anything the Jacksons would have recorded.

Don't Look Any Further- Dennis Edwards featuring Seidah Garrett- I had totally forgotten about this song until I played this album for the first time. This song has a steamy sensual vibe. Seidah Garrett was a demo singer who took Chaka Khan's place when she was unable to join Edwards on this song. Maybe it's a good thing Seidah Garrett took the part. She and Edwards have pretty good vocal chemistry.

Treat Her Like A Lady- The Temptations- This is another song I don't remember... and to be honest, while I like a lot of The Temptations' stuff, I don't like this song that much. Still, if you like impressive falsetto singing, this upbeat number is a pretty good bet.

Mr. Telephone Man- New Edition- Ah yes... New Edition, a boy band from the early 1980s featuring Whitney Houston's ex husband Bobby Brown, among others. Once again, when I listen to these guys sing, I'm reminded an awful lot of Michael Jackson. It's fun to listen to this bubbly lovesick confection again, even though I remember getting pretty sick of it when it was on the radio.

Somebody's Watching Me- Rockwell- Speaking of the Jacksons, Rockwell persuaded his former brother-in-law Jermaine Jackson and Michael to sing backup on "Somebody's Watching Me", a song about paranoia. Given what eventually happened to Michael Jackson and his career, this song is weirdly prophetic. Wonder whatever happened to Rockwell, anyway...

Meeting In The Ladies Room- Klymaxx- Here's a fun girl group song that sounds custom made for the skating rink. Of course, by the time this song came out, skating rinks were starting to go out of style. I like this song for its heavy bass matched by its heavy attitude.

Disc Two

Nightshift- Commodores- I've always liked "Nightshift", a musical ode to Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson. This song, which garnered The Commodores their only Grammy, features lead singer J.D. Nicholas, who stepped in after Lionel Richie went solo.

Cherish- Kool & The Gang- "Cherish" is a nice, lush, gentle love song. I can appreciate this pretty ballad more now than I could twenty years ago, when it got played to death on the radio.

Oh Sheila- Ready For The World- Here's a funky number by Michigan based Ready For The World. I was in 8th grade when this song was hot and that was around the time Prince was really making waves. This song sounds like it was heavily influenced by his royal purpleness himself.

Secret Lovers- Atlantic Starr- Atlantic Starr had a big hit with the cheating inspired "Secret Lovers", featuring new lead singer circa 1984 Barbara Weathers.

Your Smile- Rene & Angela- "Your Smile" is another song I seem to have missed from the 1980s. This song features lots and lots of keyboards and luscious vocals by Rene Moore and Angela Winbush.

I Have Learned To Respect The Power of Love- Stephanie Mills "I Have Learned To Respect The Power of Love" is another smokey ballad. When I listen to Mills' trilly soprano, I'm reminded an awful lot of Patti LaBelle.

You Should Be Mine (The Woo Woo Song)- Jeffrey Osborne- Jeffrey Osborne's "You Should Be Mine" from 1986 is supposedly his biggest solo hit, which surprises me. I would have guessed "On The Wings of Love" would have beat this song. Anyway, this song, with its almost Caribbean beat, sounds like it's from the mid 1980s.

Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent- Gwen Guthrie- The late Gwen Guthrie's very danceable hit "Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent" very firmly sends the unapologetic message that having money can be of key importance in a relationship.

Candy- Cameo- I've always liked Cameo's songs, which put more of a rock edge to R&B. This song is notable for its use of hard edged electric guitars and staccato percussion.

Looking For A New Love- Jody Watley- Oh my God, I got so sick of "Looking For A New Love" when I was in the 9th grade. Now that I'm an old lady in my mid 30s, I can appreciate this song for its splashy synthesizers and Watley's saucy vocals about ditching a worthless boyfriend. This song, with Watley's disdainful "Hasta la vista, baby", remains quotable even twenty years later.

Mercedes Boy- Pebbles- I have to confess that I still really enjoy "Mercedes Boy" by Pebbles. This song has a carefree, energetic spirit. When I listen to it, I picture myself driving around on a summer day in a very sexy Mercedes convertible with some guy who's impressed by foreign cars. Alas, while I do get to ride in a foreign car, it's not a convertible. (ETA: That all changed for me in 2009, when I bought a Mini Cooper S Convertible!)

Little Walter- Tony! Toni! Tone!- Now this is an interesting song... it incorporates the old spiritual "Wade In The Water", then becomes a strictly late 80s style soul number.

The Right Stuff- Vanessa Williams- Ex beauty queen turned movie and recording star Vanessa Williams contributes the surprisingly funky number "The Right Stuff". I like Vanessa Williams' slower stuff, but this song does have sort of an infectious sense of fun about it. If I were still roller skating in the mid 80s, I'm sure I would have enjoyed turning the rink to this song... at least until Vanessa starts to rap.

My Prerogative- Bobby Brown- Oh boy, this song brings back bad memories from the late 80s. Still, it does have sort of a recklessness about it that was appealing... in a rebellious adolescent kind of way. I like the way Bobby Brown tells everyone he can do what he wants to do... including going to jail for snorting cocaine.

I Like- Guy- Guy's "I Like" ends this compilation on a flirtatious note. I think by the time this song was popular, I had pretty much stopped listening to the radio. I don't really remember it from its heyday back in February 1989, but I like it today.

Besides being chock full of old hits from the 1980s, 80's Soul: Gold also has fairly generous liner notes, with an informative article by Amy Linden, a full listing of each track including the personnel, and lots and lots of very cheesy pictures. Each act has a photo in the notes and some of them are good reminders why image has, unfortunately, become so important in the music industry.

As a child of the 80s, I'm glad I invested in 80's Soul: Gold. It's fun to listen to these old songs, some of which still sound pretty fresh today. Of course, a side effect of reminiscing about this stuff is that it reminds me both of how old I've become and how fast time goes by. But if you like 80s era soul/R&B/funk, you'd do well to pick up this collection. It's practically a party all by itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.