Monday, April 28, 2014

Maxine Nightingale...

The other day, my mother in law was visiting and I turned on my "soulful" playlist.  It has a lot of songs she loves.  One of the songs that played was Maxine Nightingale's ethereal 70s hit, "Lead Me On"…


It's kind of a sweet love song that borders on whining.  Her voice is sweet and light and the lyrics are kind of heartbreaking because her man teases her.  This song was a hit in 1979 and every time I hear it, I am mysteriously transported back to the late 70s.  Of course, when I hear this, I think "crap from the past" for sure…


An earlier hit is "Right Back Where We Started From", which was a hit in 1976.  I think this was big on the disco circuit, though it doesn't seem like disco to me.  You can boogie to this number, while you wouldn't necessarily get down and funky with "Lead Me On".

I think Maxine was a two hit wonder.  Haven't heard anything from her in years… but she did have a brief shining fifteen minutes of fame.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.