Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Suspicious fight songs...

I am a 1994 graduate of Longwood College.  As of 2002, it became Longwood University and apparently since then, has been steadily changing its image.  Back in my day, sports were not really a priority.  Sure, we had teams, but none of them were all that great.  We sure as hell didn't have a "fight song".  Longwood in the 90s had more women than men and while there were plenty of women who were into sports, there was no football team.  There still isn't.

Within the past few years, Longwood has acquired a "fight song".  It goes like this…



Listening to this, I am suddenly reminded of a much more famous fight song…



The melody is a bit more intricate and is certainly more tuneful.  In fact, while I love my alma mater, I think they could have done better with the above video.  Indeed, it sounds a bit ripped off, which is surprising considering Longwood's vaunted Honor Code.  On the other hand, I'm just glad Longwood has a fight song.  It's a step in the right direction.

At least my other alma mater has a slightly different sounding fight song…



I think I like the Gamecocks' song better.  Almost makes me want to go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.