Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Honeydrippers...


A weird 80s era entry for Robert Plant...

I don't know why, but the song "Sea of Love" just popped into my head.  It was originally a hit for Phil Phillips, but Robert Plant, who had always wanted to form a band with a rhythm and blues basis, decided to revive it for his 80s era band The Honeydrippers.  I guess The Honeydrippers would qualify as a super band.  Robert Plant sang lead, and he was joined by fellow Led Zeppelin bandmate Jimmy Page, Paul Shaffer, Brian Setzer, Nile Rodgers, and Yardbird member Jeff Beck, as well as others.


"Rockin' At Midnight"... I haven't heard this song in a dog's age.

The Honeydrippers were formed in 1981, but released their sole album in 1984.  That's why whenever I heard "Sea of Love", I'm reminded of 7th grade.  That wasn't a particularly great year for me, but I do remember the music pretty well.  Actually, thinking about the fact that I'm now 43 years old and it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I was in 7th grade, I realize I'll be an old crone before I know it.  I guess I already am one somewhat.

I have a friend who actually knows Robert Plant and she says he is a wonderful man.  He's very friendly and kind.  Not for nothing, but I love to see Jimmy Page, too.  He has such a kind smile.  I love to hear about kind and generous musicians.  And I sit here thinking maybe I have pissed away my life by not becoming one myself.

Ah well... at least I still have these random memories of obscure songs from the 70s and 80s, right?  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.