Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Sugar Don't Bite...

Back in 1983, I was an avid fan of Star Search.  It was kind of an 80s precursor to American Idol, although it also included categories besides singing.  I'd say the vocalist categories were the most popular and launched a few legitimate stars.  I remember Sinbad, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, and Tiffany were all contestants.

You know who else was a contestant?  Sam Harris.  Don't know the name?  A lot of people don't.  But back in the 80s, when he was in his 20s, he was a big winner on Star Search.  He was kind of like Star Search's version of Kelly Clarkson.  After winning big on Star Search, Harris got a record deal with Motown and released this song...


It sounds a little like Papa Don't Preach.  The songwriters sued Madonna and actually won...

I do remember this being on the radio back in the day...  I was 12 years old in 1984 when this was a minor hit.  It's a pretty crappy song, in my opinion.  I'd rather listen to "Papa Don't Preach".  

Here's Sam Harris singing his signature song... "Over the Rainbow", which people seem to love.  Harris was known for his soaring high notes and embellishments, which I have always found kind of annoying.  But this performance was good enough to win lots of money and eventually a turn on Broadway after his Motown record deal fizzled.


"Over the Rainbow"... I can think of versions I like better than this.  That showy last embellishment makes my hair stand on end.

I give him credit for making good, though.  Not only has he been on Broadway and scored a record deal, but he's also produced TV shows.  And even though I am not a fan of the showy embellishments, he definitely can sing.

I did wonder where he went after "Sugar Don't Bite".  I think that song probably embarrasses him now.  But it was fun to listen to it yesterday after so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.