Monday, October 14, 2013

On My Own...

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with the musical, Les Miserables.  When I was in college, it was very popular and I had a very annoying roommate who used to play the soundtrack all the time and try to sing along.  Some of the songs were kind of pretty and funny, but when they are being warbled by someone who doesn't sing well, they become kind of grating.  Add in the fact that this roommate was a bit on the histrionic side and you have a potential for an incredibly irritating situation.

Years after I left college, I was taking voice lessons in Williamsburg, Virginia.  My teacher was a guy who had performed at the Met in New York City.  His wife taught ballet and had been quite accomplished in the world of dance.  Since I have a sister who was a ballerina for awhile, it was interesting to know this couple.

Anyway, my teacher wanted me to sing the song "On My Own" from Les Miserables.  We studied it and I eventually could sing it pretty well... enough so that he wanted me to sing it in a recital.  Well, I sang it and promptly forgot the words about halfway through.  It was my fault because I hadn't rehearsed enough.  I was living with my parents at the time and working a lot.  I didn't have time, nor did I have the necessary privacy.

Today, "On My Own" was a featured song on SingSnap.  There were two versions.  One was the longer version with the willowy intro.  The other starts right at the beginning.  I decided to do the shorter version.



I have ordered a new mic that I hope will give me less issues with distortion.  I may also get a mixer.  I think I might like to take a course and learn how to do sound or mixing.  I'm just interested is all... and I figure at my age, any courses I take now should be because I'm interested.

I find when I do recordings on Garage Band, I don't have as much trouble with distortion with the mic. That makes me think maybe it's an Internet thing... or maybe it's just SingSnap.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.